Thursday, July 17, 2008

Velcro Kid

I've always seen those kids stuck like velcro to their mother's leg.  I'd watch as the mother pried her child from her leg and tried to make the quick escape before reattachment occurred.  I thought children went through separation anxiety around age 2.   Alyssa always loved going to school, so she never cried when I left...until now.  As I go to leave, she runs after me asking for hugs.  Who's going to turn down a hug, right?  When I hug her, she latches on and doesn't let go.  I pry her hands from around my neck, return her to her seat, and she runs after me again.  We do this 2-3 times before I finally say enough.  Then, as I'm leaving, I can hear her saying, "My Mommy!" and she starts to cry.

Of course, it makes me feel terrible that I have to leave her and go to work.  For a while, she would tell me that she's going to work and I'm going to school.  She'd do this silly little "I'm going to work!" walk, giggle at herself, and then she'd return to the table.  It's different now, she's not being silly and it's not funny.  After the Oscar-winning performance today, I peeked on her about a minute after she thought I was gone.  There were no tears.  She was not sad.  She was smiling, eating breakfast, and talking to one of other girls in her class that had just done the same to her mother.   Unbelievable!   They certainly know how to pull our heart strings, don't they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, they sure do. Nate used to cry, run after me and cling to me when I tried to leave him in the church nursery. But after I left, he did the same thing...stopped crying and started smiling and playing. Just wait until you go to pick them up and they don't want to see you! Nate always runs to me when I come to pick him up at the nursery, smiling and so happy to see me....that is until last Sunday. I walked in and he looked at me like, "What are you doing here? I don't want to go with you." That made me feel sadder than leaving him!