Thursday, March 26, 2009

Suds Sipper


I don't know what it is about kids and bathwater. You can fuss with them all day long to drink a bottle of water. Yet, when you stick them in the tub, they won't stop drinking the bathwater. Alyssa keeps doing it and she finds it quite amusing. I actually had to look it up to see if other kids participate in this daily ritual. They do! Apparently, it's quite normal for children to guzzle water from the tub.

I don't know what is most concerning to me about this behavior... that she's drinking soapy tap water, that the tub is dirty, or the chance that there just might be pee in the water. I know all of these things are survivable, but it's just gross!

I've just come to the realization that she just might be doing it because of the attention she gets from me telling her not to do it. The more I say no, the more she drinks. I think I'd be better off ignoring it than acknowledging it. It's worth a try!

Sorry my little suds sipper, bathtub cocktail hour needs to end.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was with my ex his son use to do this all the time too. Once we started ignoring him it wasn't as much fun so he pretty much stopped. We also turned him on to "super quick showers" where we would throw him in the shower, hose him down, scrub him up, hose him down again and throw a towel around him. He thought it was great fun and it turned out to be less messy then soapy bath water getting splashed all over the place.

Chanda said...

Thanks, Ja'Nice! I think it's that way with anything. You stop paying attention and they lose interest. We do showers about once a week because she thinks they are fun. Sometimes, I'll even "suggest" them if we're running late. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nate does this too and when I overreacted, he did it even more. I like Ja'Nice's comment about the super quick showers. We call them "fast baths" for Nate and he thinks it's a lot of fun. That's usually when we're short on time....or if I'm just too lazy to monitor a bath. haha.