Sunday, October 12, 2008

Little Person Encounter

At the grocery store today, Alyssa was watching a gentleman put stuff away.  He just so happens to be a little person.  Loudly she says to Daddy, “Look Daddy, that man is small!”  The man heard her and approached the shopping cart.  He said, “That’s right, I am small.  I was born that way.”  Then he said, “Well, you’re small too!  How about a high five?”  She was afraid and wouldn’t give him a high five.

Children are so honest when it comes to simple observations.  Sometimes, it can even be embarrassing to parents.  She’s already pointed out the difference in skin colors and asks what’s wrong with people if there’s something different about them.  Sometimes I try not to respond in attempt not to draw attention to her, but if she’s persistent I politely explain without making the situation even more embarrassing.  I hope she learns discretion sooner rather than later.


No comments: